MATCH (Measuring Abilities and Thinking Competencies for High School) is a Grade 7 benchmarking assessment. It is intended to provide primary schools with an independent assessment of their Grade 7 learners’ preparedness for high school in terms of both academic proficiency and the necessary skills base needed for continued success at high school level.
While MATCH is rooted in the CAPS requirements, it also aims to test a learner’s understanding of key concepts and their ability to apply these concepts in both familiar and unfamiliar contexts. It is intended to be a true assessment that focuses on the essential skills and the application of knowledge, skills and attitudes required by today’s learner.
COMMENTS FROM PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS:
- “Well designed and a valuable tool to assess the skills our learners need to succeed tomorrow
- "Comprehensive, interesting and relevant”.
- “I think MATCH is definitely an invaluable tool which will assist me as a teacher in getting my pupils ready for an IEB high schoo
This interdisciplinary assessment consists of two papers:
- a one hour multiple choice paper (which can be written on-line)
- a two hour skills and application paper focused on those skills expected of a 21st-century learner e.g. creativity, visual literacy, communication skills, problem-solving, ethical reasoning and critical thinking
Varied and detailed reports are issued to participating schools. They include individual learner reports, school reports and a question by question analysis of both papers and an evaluation of the schools’ achievements against the entire participating cohort.
MATCH has the potential to highlight areas of both strength and weakness at Grade 7 level providing a focus for professional development, examination of learning programmes while providing a vehicle for strengthening communication between primary and high schools.
MATCH will be written on Wednesday 24 July 2024
WHAT DO SCHOOL WHO WISH TO PARTICIPATE NEED TO DO?
Schools interested in participating in MATCH must register their learners by 1 April 2024. Learners can be registered on the IEB online website. Should a school have any further queries, they should contact MATCH.